Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Feria for the Tuesday ... Jesus seeks the lost

Dear Fathers, Brothers, Sisters in Christ

2 Maccabees 6:18-31
 Psalm 3:2-3, 4-5, 6-7
 Luke 19:1-10



According to today's scripture, Zacchaeus was a little guy.
 Yes, too short to see over the crowd that surrounded Jesus.

 So, Zacchaeus dashed ahead of everyone and scrambled up a sycamore tree in Jesus' path. From there, Zacchaeus could look down from a bird's eye view to see Jesus passing by,
while nobody else could see him hiding. Better that way, since Zacchaeus was not exactly a popular guy in town, his being a tax collector and all.

 It was a good plan, don't you think?

 But then, to Zacchaeus's astonishment, Jesus stopped just below his leafy perch. Jesus looked up through the branches, and spoke to Zacchaeus! It was almost as if Jesus had been waiting for that moment! And Jesus didn't want to miss him!  Indeed, Jesus said He had come "to seek and to save what was lost."

 Even tax collectors.

 Even rich people.

 Even us.

 Even today, in the 21st Century.

 Right here, in the place where you're reading this!
 Jesus is seeking out YOU!
 Some things don't change. Jesus still seeks the lost.

 And what one of us hasn't been lost at one time or another?
 Before our baptism?
 Before a conversion experience?
 Before making a good confession?
 Maybe even right now?


 Jesus will go to any length to find us and to woo us to Him. It's a love story, really. Jesus loves us, right where we are. Just as we are this very minute. He wants the best for us. And He'll do anything for us all. Oh Jesus, I'm nobody special. I'm just me, warts and all. But to You, I'm worth dying for. I'm worth Your coming back from the dead!

 Help me, Lord, to see my worth as You see it.
 Help me to see that I'm infinitely precious to You.
 And help me to respond to Your love.

 Right here. Right now.
 At this moment.



Father Ed Bakker
Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province
Bendigo
Australia