Saturday, June 27, 2015

Feria on Saturday , 27 June 2015

Dear Fathers, Friends in Christ, 

Luke 1:46-47, 48-49, 50 and 53, 54-55
 Matthew 8:5-17



The Centurion said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed."

 Does that verse from today's gospel sound familiar?

 It was not only the Roman soldier's reply to Jesus, when He offered to come and cure his servant who was sick. It is very similar to our reply when the priest holds up the consecrated Host during Mass, just before we receive Holy Communion. 

 The priest says, 
Behold the Lamb of God, 
 behold Him who takes away the sins
 of the world.
And we reply:
Lord, I am not worthy 
 that you should enter under my roof, 
 but only say the word, 
 and my soul shall be healed.

 Whether our bodies or our souls need healing, Jesus certainly can take care of either - or both! As the prophet Isaiah said, "He took away our infirmities and bore our diseases." Alleluia!

O Lord, 
 Give me faith like the centurion's. 
 Give me a deep understanding 
 that I am not worthy 
 to receive You as my guest. 
 Let me know in my bones that 
 only a word from You will heal me, 
 body and soul.
 Amen.


 Father Ed Bakker 
 Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province 
 Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne 
 Bendigo Australia 

No comments: