Saturday, August 8, 2015

A church for sale in Golden Square ?

Dear Fathers, Friends in Christ, 

When you drive on the Calder Highway towards Golden Square, then you will see the tower and the church of a former Methodist Church and now Union Church as a famous landmark. For those, who do not know  the Union Church in Australia and New Zealand is Church consisting of a combined Presbyterian and Methodist congregation. Some weeks ago I was in McDonald,s Epsom having a coffee and had a conversation with a Union Church Official and he revealed to me that the church was for sale, including the vicarage. I feel always sad when I hear such news, because it is proof that we live in such materialistic and secular society where there is no place for Christianity much more. I asked him the reason for the closure and he said that they were only getting congregations of 10 and it is a huge building to 
maintain. All this was in conflict  with information I saw on the net that the Union Church is selling off properties to clear debt.


The Union Church in Golden Square





Back in New Zealand , Oxford , I had a great relationship with the Union Church, I was allowed to use their local Church building for a Sunday Anglican Catholic Service. I did pay them for the use of the Church, but their hospitality was very kind. 
When I asked the Union Church here in Bendigo for some space to rent I was told :
"We dont let other Christians use our buildings." I admit that I was disappointed with this answer , but I carried on with my Mission here in Bendigo. 
Before I became an Anglican Catholic I was an Anglican and I know the Anglican Bishop of Bendigo, the Rt Revd Andrew Curnow very well. I sang in his choir when he was Vicar of Saint Georges Malvern and his was my Bishop when I was a server at Christ Church Brunswick Melbourne. Yet on my return to Bendigo, he is not so keen to deal with me, did not allow me to use the Churchhall of the Anglican Parish of Whitehills for our services and my e-mails to him drop in the spambox of the diocesan office. I dont bear grudges, but just feel said about this. We do need a place  of worship as home Masses are not always ideal. 

On closing , I wish the Union Church of Golden Square  well and pray for a good solution. 
Perhaps all of us need to focus on the words of the first picture I published on this blog this evening : 

"bearing with one another in love , making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the Bond of Peace " Eph 4:2-3

Have a blessed Sunday, 

Father Ed Bakker 
Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province 
Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne 
Bendigo Australia 










Visit our diocesan website http://www.accopanz.org 

No comments: