Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary


Dear Fathers, Friends in Jesus Christ, 

Mary remained with her about three months
  and then returned to her home." (Luke 1:56)

 Three months is a long time. 

 What do you suppose Mary and Elizabeth did during those three months? 

 Do you think maybe they made baby clothes? Or toys for little boys?

 What do you think they might have talked about?
 Did they "compare notes" about their pregnancies?
 Did they laugh and enjoy each other's company?

 Of course they helped one another.
 Of course they prayed together.
 And of course, both women were totally amazed by what God had done for each of them.

 Mary and Elizabeth must have been perfect company for each other. Just think - who else would have believed their incredible stories?

 Neither woman knew all the details of the future for their sons. But their trust in God must have grown, even as their babies grew within them.


O Lord, 
 You are a God of wonderful surprises! I can only guess at the details that my future with You holds. On this feast day, give me trust for your plan for my life. And today, Lord, let me go about my daily tasks, just as Mary surely went about hers, during her life on earth. My duties today may seem mundane, but I offer You Lord, each one, just as Mary and Elizabeth offered their actions to You day by day. 
 Amen.

 Father Ed Bakker 
 Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province 
 Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne 
 Bendigo Australia 

No comments: