Monday, July 15, 2019

The Fourth Sunday after Trinity - 14 June 2019

My Friends,


I am sorry, but running slightly behind with the publishing of this reflection for last Sunday.


Readings: Romans 8 v 18 & Saint Luke 6 v 36


As a Priest, and really like everyone else I have a lot on my plate this year, looking after the sick and suffering, whilst a lot of sickness is also happening at home. You could say that this is really a test of Faith for me, because life on this island of Tasmania can be frustrating and very isolated. But... looking at the Introit, Collect, Epistle and Gospel for the Mass, which I said yesterday all of a sudden a wave of joy and peace and comfort is coming my way. 


The Introit " Domino illuminatio mea Ps 27 tells me that the Lord is my Light and my Salvation, I should not fear anyone and know that the Lord is the strength of my life.  In the Collect, which is the Prayer for this Sunday, we pray that we may pass so through things temporal, that we do not lose those things which are Eternal. This so much the focus of many people in this world we live in , we cling to temporal things, often too long when is too late to repent and turn our lives over to Christ.


In the Epistle for this Sunday , Saint Paul explains to us that the suffering in this world at this present time are not worthy to be compared with the Glory which shall be revealed in us . The whole creation travels in pain together until now, including all those, who have received the first fruits of the Spirit. So, take heed all Christians, who are persecuted in Europe, Africa and China, the torment will pass with the adoption of our bodies in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Finally, in the Gospel of this Sunday Jesus talks about being merciful and not being full of judgement. Forgive and you shall be forgiven. I had a number of issues with a fellow Clergyman for a number of years, who would not forgive me for something I had done ( there was a good reason for my action), but I got angry and bitter over this and had to learn to forgive him and pray for him. Once I did pray for him, I began to feel better and better regarding the past issues and I was able to get on with some neglected work.


Closing off... I have learned something and I pray that this reflection may be of use to you as you like me continue this Pilgrimage until its Destination.


God bless you.


Father Ed Bakker,
Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne,
Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province
Launceston on Tasmania
Australia



No comments: