Monday, August 25, 2014

Feria for the Monday - is our faith flourishing ?

Dear Fathers, Friends in Christ, 

2 Thessalonians 1:1-5, 11-12
 Psalm 96:1-2a, 2b-3, 4-5
 Matthew 23:13-22




In today's first reading, St. Paul heaps lavish praise on the Thessalonians. He writes that their faith is flourishing and their love for each other is growing. He even boasts about their endurance under persecution.

 If Paul were to write about us today, what would he say? Would he thank God that our faith in Christ is flourishing? Would he rejoice that our love for one another is growing daily? And if we are being persecuted for our faith, would he boast about our endurance?

 If not, why not?

 Is our faith flourishing? Is our love growing? Could we stand up if our faith in Christ comes under attack? It is something to take to prayer.



O Lord, my faith is small and my love for others is puny! Help me, God! Give me more faith and love. Give me the kind of faith and love that please you, Lord. And if You should ask me to undergo persecution and affliction for Your sake, let me stand the test. For You, O God, are the giver of all faith, all love and all strength, for which we ask in Jesus's name. 
 Amen.

Father Ed Bakker 
Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province 
Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne 
Bendigo , Australia