Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Feria on the Tuesday

Dear Fathers, Friends in Christ, 

The Lord is my light and my salvation. (Psalm 27:1)


From times tables to song lyrics to addresses and phone numbers, we learn so many things by rote. In fact, if you say or think something often enough, it will become ingrained in your memory—even statements about who you are and what life is about. So consider what might happen if you made the decision to repeat godly truths over and over again. Try it today, starting with “The Lord is my light” and “The Lord is my refuge.” 

The Lord is my light. He shows me what to do. He gives me direction and lights the path when the way seems dark. His light can shine in my heart, offering wisdom when I’m not sure what to do. He gives me understanding and a heavenly perspective. When I feel too confused or afraid to move ahead, he can show me how to proceed.

The Lord is my refuge. I can run to him for safekeeping and strength. He is my strength when I feel too weak to keep on caring or when I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning. He will help me when the call of raising godly children or persevering in prayer seems too demanding. He keeps me safe amid hostility and opposition.

The Lord is my strength. I can exercise, finish rehab, or endure chemotherapy. When I need to repent, forgive, or simply bide my time, he is there with his own courage and power to help me.

When the shadow of fear or defeat threatens to spread itself over you, shout it out, “The Lord is my light!” When fear grips you or weakness overtakes you, declare it, “The Lord is my strength!” Whenever you hear yourself say or think, “I can’t,” “I don’t know how,” or “I give up,” just repeat this glorious verse: “The Lord is my light and my salvation… . The Lord is my life’s refuge (Psalm 27:1, 2).”

“Lord, you are my light and the strength of my life. With your help today, I will live in your light and strength.”


Father Ed Bakker 
Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province 
Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne 
Bendigo Australia 

No comments: