Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Feria on the Wednesday

Dear Fathers, Friends in Christ, 

'Listening to God' 

I will thank you always for what you have done,
and proclaim the goodness of your name
before your faithful ones. 
Psalm 52:11 

There are certain stores that must surely inject some sort of aspirational virus in me at the doorway.

A particular Swedish home furnishings enterprise. High-end cookware shops. Even big box hardware and lumber stores can get that buzz going in my head:

"My life could look like this. It could be neater, trimmer, coolly designed, and of course, if it were all that, it would be so much better than it is now. It might even be perfect. All I need to do is have this in my house and this and..."

As quickly as the aspirations surge, they crash, and a mild sort of despair tempts me as I leave the store with nothing more than a spatula.

It's why I have to let God's Word, not marketing geniuses, shape my worldview. With the latter in charge, I'll never be satisfied. But letting the psalmist's prayer of gratitude take charge, I will. Always. 


Father Ed Bakker 
Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province 
Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne 
Bendigo, Australia 

No comments: