Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Feria for the Wednesday - God calls and I do His Will

Dear Fathers, Friends in Christ, 

'Calling in the Night' 



Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will. 

Psalm 40:8-9 

While ordained and vowed play a vital role in the Church, God calls us all--men, women and children--to be his hands and feet, to be his ear and his voice. I admit that I once believed "calls" were reserved for priests and vowed religious--until I left as a Subdeacon, server and Parishioner of Christ Church Anglican Church, Brunswick , Melbourne and had to give up my spiritual home and could not find a new one. 

Countless nights I laid awake talking with God. I knew he'd heard me when a new song was introduced at Mass.This was during my postulancy and my time in the Roman Catholic Church of Oxford New Zealand, where I had been given permission by the RC Bishop of Christchurch to take the Blessed Sacrament.  A lump rose in my throat as we sang: "I have heard you calling in the night." By the time we came to "Here I am Lord, I will go, Lord," tears were washing down my face, carrying any doubts I had with them! In answering the call, although short of material goods,my life took on a richness that I never dared to imagine. 



Father Ed Bakker, 
Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province 
Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne 
Bendigo in the Central Goldfields, 
Australia 

No comments: