Saturday, October 24, 2015

Feria on Saturday - what fruit have I produced in my life ?

Dear Fathers, Friends in Christ, 

Luke 13:1-9



In today's gospel parable, the barren fig tree almost gets cut down. After a close call with the orchard owner, the tree is saved by the kindly gardener and gets one more chance to bear fruit. The gardener promises to give it extra attention. He'll baby it along, fertilizing and cultivating it, hoping it will produce. And then, if it doesn't grow some figs in the next year, he says, out it goes! 

 Can it be the same with us? 

 What if we have no fruit to show the Lord in our lives? Will Jesus give us another chance?

 With Jesus as our "gardener," we can be "fertilized" with the sacraments. We can be "cultivated" with prayer and sacrifice and good fellowship. And we can bear fruit! 

 What fruit have I produced in my life so far? It's something to think about.


O Lord, 
 I know that my time on this earth is limited. Help me produce good fruit for you in my life. Help me get serious about applying the "fertilizer" of the Sacrament of Confession and Holy Communion. Help me cultivate my spiritual life with prayer and sacrifice. Help me, Lord, to bear fruit for You - this year! Amen.


 Father Ed Bakker
 Anglican Catholic Church / Original Province, 
 Mission of Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne 
 Bendigo, Australia 

No comments: